Intellectual/Analytical Fan Vs. Emotional Fan.

    Share
    avatar
    lost frequencies
    Administrator

    Female
    Number of posts : 329
    Age : 32
    Location : In the depths of condemned apathy.
    Registration date : 2008-09-21

    Intellectual/Analytical Fan Vs. Emotional Fan.

    Post by lost frequencies on Fri Nov 14, 2008 12:13 am

    Saralinda from Stealthy Stories provided a link to a very interesting essay explaining 'Fan Types':

    Intellectual/Analytical Fan Vs. Emotional Fan: http://xparrot.livejournal.com/95203.html

    For me I'd say that I started of as an emotional type, and have slowly progressed to wanting to learn/study/analyse more on canonical characteristics mainly because I wanted to write more effectively...

    Which "type" are you?


    _________________
    Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared with scars. ~ Kahlil Gibran
    avatar
    Chloe
    Original Character

    Female
    Number of posts : 49
    Age : 28
    Location : New York City
    Registration date : 2008-09-28

    Re: Intellectual/Analytical Fan Vs. Emotional Fan.

    Post by Chloe on Fri Nov 14, 2008 3:14 am

    To an intellectual fan, something like character bashing can come across as not only mean-spirited but downright dangerous - what if the bashers hate a real person as vituperatively or violently as the fictional character? What's hard to understand is that emotional fans can find such bashing cathartic because the hated character is fictional; it's the same harmless pleasure offered by violent video games. Likewise, while an OTP fan may seem unreasonably hurt by a canon pairing that denies their OTP, they have the OTP to begin with because they enjoy it; it's part of their emotional bond to a show.

    I've come across this problem SO many times. Whenever I encounter squeeing fangirl or people who are deeply emotionally invested in TMNT. I take a step back and avoid them. I'm usually highly uncomfortable with people who become obsessed with one thing- a character (a certain person who's Raph-centric comes to mind.) or a "shipping" or turtlecest and have considered this type of fanship as being mentally unhealthy. Perhaps I'm wrong.

    As a rule I don't like becoming emotionally invested in anything that is unstable and the fantasy world of writing is one of those things. The emotional vigor which some turtlefans approach the characters makes me very uncomfortable and is one of the reasons I don't actively connect with the fans outside of rpg. This doesn't mean I'm not emotionally moved by the stories- because I am, often deeply. But I don't become invested in it. If a pairing fails, I think up new pairings or alternatives to romance. If there's a character I don't like, I'm driven to know why and possibly explore the motives of that character. I've never been able to understand why fangirls all swoon and giggle together. It's made me feel very isolated in the fandom- I just can't take part in the emotions going on. My emotions aren't moved the same way. I've never swooned over a TMNT or gushed or squeed (possibly over anything). Likewise, I have a hard time understanding the draw to Turtlecest and Sexfic. My emotions are activated by everything that goes on before and after the sex- everything that leads to it and how the characters are changed by that experience.

    My interest in the fandom is purely in rpg (I don't read/write fics or search for art or take interest in the turtlecest "movement".) and the way I approach rpg is in the form of a critic of tmnt canon. I will play with elements found within canon, rewrite characters, rethink them, re-examine, look closer at characters and dig into the motivations of them. I love the psychology of characters and exploring the why. The plots and themes I try to focus on are ones that I want to inspire the other players around me to become thoughtful about or examine life more closely. I cross my fingers and hope I succeed in that.

    This character might be one of my only "fluff" personas.

    IMHO I think there are far more emotional fans than there are intellectual fans out there, in this fandom and in most.

    Thoughts?
    avatar
    Traximus
    Lurker

    Male
    Number of posts : 1
    Registration date : 2008-10-02

    Re: Intellectual/Analytical Fan Vs. Emotional Fan.

    Post by Traximus on Fri Nov 14, 2008 7:24 am

    The intellectual/analytical fan would definitely describe me. I never seem to "identify" myself with fictional characters unless I've had a hand in creating them. It takes a lot for me to become emotionally invested in something fictional, and there are only a few movies/comics/games that have done it for me.

    However - when it does happen, I would never dream of flaming other people because they don't agree with my opinion about a certain character, plot, etc, or because they don't think a story or a character is the same way that I perceive it. If I did, I would be forcing my opinion and emotions onto others and it's not only hostile, but emotionally unhealthy. It's a game. It's a television show. It's a movie. It's a comic book. What do all these things have in common? They're entertainment. They're supposed to be fun, interesting, or dialectical. You can't have any of this if people are becoming hostile over points that are ultimately trivial.

    There are many things to be criticized in the stories that I love, but I don't care. The things that make them great outweigh the things that are wrong with them. Nothing is perfect, and if somebody doesn't share the same feeling or opinion as me, so be it. Getting upset about it serves no useful purpose. There is life outside of the fandom, after all.
    avatar
    lost frequencies
    Administrator

    Female
    Number of posts : 329
    Age : 32
    Location : In the depths of condemned apathy.
    Registration date : 2008-09-21

    Re: Intellectual/Analytical Fan Vs. Emotional Fan.

    Post by lost frequencies on Thu Nov 20, 2008 1:18 pm

    Chloe wrote:IMHO I think there are far more emotional fans than there are intellectual fans out there, in this fandom and in most. Thoughts?

    *Nods*

    I've been in a few fandoms and it's always the same thing. But I've only learnt how to RP after I got deeply immersed in TMNT. I also think that the fandom is blessed with so many good writers in Fanfiction and RPGs. They are kind of a rare gem in the many fandoms I've been in, so I was overwhelmed when I returned to the world of TMNT.

    Since I ran the forum with Rogue, I've made tough decisions on banning/restricting members from the site because of members being emotionally invested in their characters:

    Like for example, our previous Donatello refused to let go of her canon character role because she felt there wouldn't be any meaning in simply becoming a member of our site. She had difficulties with the role itself but had never spoken up to anyone of us until I nudged her to say something. And then she started accusing me, telling me the game was OC-centric and that her Donatello hadn't received as much attention like the rest. Although she respected my decision, she wasn't ready to let go. I have two other members complaining about having the right to have her OC's relationship with Donatello be official on the forum. And she got jealous because our previous Donatello slept with someone else and it caused a whole lot of unnecessary shit. Emotional fans, even when they're playing as OCs, they tend to expect others to gravitate towards them and make them feel special. If they don't get that sort of treatment, they get discouraged and never return to RP again. We had alot of those kind of problems on our previous forum. I tried my best to make everyone feel at home, but I also have real life commitments. I couldn't handle everything on my own and please everyone. My main reason for moving was because of that--the influx of emotional fans on Tracks was killing us all.

    As for the "intellectual types"--some are a challenging bunch of people to interact with. I feel like I have to watch what I say around them, and at times, it does make me feel stupid, just because I feel I couldn't provide any sort of mind-boggling response to their detailed discussions on canon flaws in fanfictions, RPs and such. Some might analyse too much and take things too seriously. I understand the need to do research to make stories sound a little more realistic but go any deeper than that...it becomes more of an ego-battling competition. It's not about what's right and what's wrong, it's now about I'm right, and you're wrong...

    And of course, there are people who think they are just too good to RP with anyone else. They think other players don't meet up to their "standards", and would simply lurk about and not participate. I hate these types. I feel like they're watching and scrutinising everything we're doing. They don't welcome fresh ideas, because they think their ideas are the bomb and nothing else would matter...

    As for me, I'm more of the observer. I like to participate in intelligent discussions once in a while but tend to back off when things get heated. I see, learn, acknowledge and just do my own thing...

    EDIT:: Although I feel like the emotional type at times...<_<


    _________________
    Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared with scars. ~ Kahlil Gibran
    avatar
    Akita
    Lurker

    Female
    Number of posts : 10
    Location : Kismet's Mind
    Registration date : 2008-09-28

    Re: Intellectual/Analytical Fan Vs. Emotional Fan.

    Post by Akita on Thu Nov 20, 2008 8:43 pm

    I would certainly identify myself as an intellectual fan over an emotional one. And I agree with Nineteenth Souljah, in that even fellow intellectual fans can be difficult in their own rights.

    Nineteenth Souljah wrote:I feel like they're watching and scrutinising everything we're doing. They don't welcome fresh ideas, because they think their ideas are the bomb and nothing else would matter...

    I've actually had somewhat long-term experience with this, myself.

    A combination of observing, participating, and backing off is indeed a good idea. There's probably around 15 or so people that I have TMNT-based conversations with on a regular basis, because I know that they're well-balanced when it comes to expressing their views and accepting others (most importantly:) even if they do not agree with them. Other than that, I'll chime in occasionally.

    I'm sorry that this forum has seen some troubling times. Its saving grace is great admins/moderators who know the value in communication and fairness.
    avatar
    moronqueen
    Original Character

    Female
    Number of posts : 224
    Location : Here. Or maybe there. Probably somewhere in between. AHH!!
    Registration date : 2008-10-08

    Re: Intellectual/Analytical Fan Vs. Emotional Fan.

    Post by moronqueen on Sun Nov 23, 2008 6:05 am

    Nineteenth Souljah wrote:And of course, there are people who think they are just too good to RP with anyone else. They think other players don't meet up to their "standards", and would simply lurk about and not participate. I hate these types. I feel like they're watching and scrutinising everything we're doing. They don't welcome fresh ideas, because they think their ideas are the bomb and nothing else would matter...

    While there are people out there like this (they drive me bats, too), I'd add on that there're also people who might unintentionally come accross this way because they may not feel that they fit into the game, or in with the rest of the gamers on some level...or that they themselves are afraid of getting bitten for even trying. Just putting it out there. Wink

    As for intellectual vs emotional fanning, it's an interesting observation of fandoms in general, and even more interesting when applied to the TMNT universe. We all have both elements, but I would tend to agree that there do seem to be a lot more people leaning towards the emotional aspect of the fandom than the intellectual. Personally, I kind of tend towards the intellectual aspect, because I've always loved stories, character development, etc, and while the cannons of the TMNT are brilliant characters when written well, the fact that they do have so much emotion inerhent in their development is the real hook for longer-term fans.

    Though on the other hand, the study of the characters can deffinately bring out more emotional attachments, as we each hold elements of each of the character, be they archtypal aspects or simply a similar way of handling things. Conversely, with the right personality type within the fan, an initial emotional attachment can bring out a more intellectual way of looking at the character.

    It's always struck me that the more emotionally fixated a fan gets to a certain aspect of the fandom - be it a character, OTP, 'movements', or what have you - the more apparent it is that they're likely using that attachment to substitute for some lack in their personal lives. Make no mistake, I'm not saying this is always the case, but it seems to be the case very often, so the fandom then becomes either a kind of addiction or a kind of therapy, depending on the circumstances.

    Though that's the way it is with a lot of things even outside of fandoms...

    So, uhh...anyway. Now that I've put you all to sleep, observe the nifty little smilie that kept distracting me as I was typing this... Sleep
    avatar
    Saralinda
    Lurker

    Female
    Number of posts : 21
    Age : 40
    Location : The Attic of My Discontent
    Registration date : 2008-11-23

    Re: Intellectual/Analytical Fan Vs. Emotional Fan.

    Post by Saralinda on Sun Nov 23, 2008 7:23 am

    The worst analytic fans are the Quibblers. These are the people who will beat you down over some detail so minor that it really doesn't matter in the scheme of things--to a rational person, anyway. Details, details. I'm a Big Picture person myself, so I tend to bug the Quibblers. I'm here completely for the fun of it and to waste time.

    On one level I don't take any fandom seriously at all, and thus don't put forth the effort to do any real hard analysis. (I did once post an LJ comment backed up with extensive analysis and textual evidence on the similarities between the subterranean lake scene in JKR's Harry Potter and Tolkien's dark water outside the Mines of Moira, but this was almost completely emotionally disregarded by the JKR-Can-Do-No-Wrong Fans, so I wondered why I had bothered putting the effort in.) Yet at the same time I respect the energy and creativity that fans put into creating this interstitial world of fannish mayhem. I enjoy thoughtful discussion but nitpicking? No thank you. I like the fun people.
    avatar
    moronqueen
    Original Character

    Female
    Number of posts : 224
    Location : Here. Or maybe there. Probably somewhere in between. AHH!!
    Registration date : 2008-10-08

    Re: Intellectual/Analytical Fan Vs. Emotional Fan.

    Post by moronqueen on Sun Nov 23, 2008 7:53 am

    Saralinda wrote:The worst analytic fans are the Quibblers. These are the people who will beat you down over some detail so minor that it really doesn't matter in the scheme of things--to a rational person, anyway. Details, details. I'm a Big Picture person myself, so I tend to bug the Quibblers. I'm here completely for the fun of it and to waste time.

    On one level I don't take any fandom seriously at all, and thus don't put forth the effort to do any real hard analysis. (I did once post an LJ comment backed up with extensive analysis and textual evidence on the similarities between the subterranean lake scene in JKR's Harry Potter and Tolkien's dark water outside the Mines of Moira, but this was almost completely emotionally disregarded by the JKR-Can-Do-No-Wrong Fans, so I wondered why I had bothered putting the effort in.) Yet at the same time I respect the energy and creativity that fans put into creating this interstitial world of fannish mayhem. I enjoy thoughtful discussion but nitpicking? No thank you. I like the fun people.

    Amen to this.
    avatar
    lost frequencies
    Administrator

    Female
    Number of posts : 329
    Age : 32
    Location : In the depths of condemned apathy.
    Registration date : 2008-09-21

    Re: Intellectual/Analytical Fan Vs. Emotional Fan.

    Post by lost frequencies on Sun Nov 23, 2008 9:19 am

    I kept looking at Saralinda's avvie while reading through all of this. I thought it fit perfectly with this discussion. Razz And thanks Mo, for adding that last bit to my rant. I knew I missed something but was too stoned...and lazy to edit. 'struth!

    You guys came up with pretty good points. About the nitpicking thingy. I don't know about you guys but I tend to see this alot in the fanfiction universe. From whining about bad, lousy fanfiction to bashing authors for their works...I've become so wary of my own stories, it makes it hard to write sometimes for fear of being called the next badfic. But I'm paranoid like that.


    _________________
    Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared with scars. ~ Kahlil Gibran
    avatar
    Saralinda
    Lurker

    Female
    Number of posts : 21
    Age : 40
    Location : The Attic of My Discontent
    Registration date : 2008-11-23

    Re: Intellectual/Analytical Fan Vs. Emotional Fan.

    Post by Saralinda on Sun Nov 23, 2008 9:34 am

    I kept looking at Saralinda's avvie while reading through all of this. I thought it fit perfectly with this discussion.

    You want a mellow, fun fandom? Go to MST3K. It's all about making fun of bad, bad movies. But it's never been about hurting anyone's feelings. My favorite episodes are "I Accuse My Parents" and "Deathstalker and the Warriors from Hell"--both can be found on YouTube, although I own them and many more on DVD.

    From whining about bad, lousy fanfiction to bashing authors for their works...I've become so wary of my own stories, it makes it hard to write sometimes for fear of being called the next badfic. But I'm paranoid like that.

    I pretty much can't stand the Wank. At least, I can't stand it when it is spiteful. There is some good natured wank out there, but a lot of it is just mean spirited. It's a lot kinder to give constructive crit to the poor kids starting out writing or trying their best to express themselves, or else just ignore the badfic. I think a lot of that comes from fans who are trying to build their reputations as Big Name Fans and arbiters of What Is Good in the fandom. Basically it is another form of bullying and clique-formation, kind of like in high school.

    I avoided all that in high school and hid in the art room, and I guess I continue to do the equivalent of that today.

    I'll let you know when your stories outrage my own artistic sensibilities. You will know because I will send this person after you: clown


    Last edited by Saralinda on Sun Nov 23, 2008 9:49 am; edited 1 time in total
    avatar
    lost frequencies
    Administrator

    Female
    Number of posts : 329
    Age : 32
    Location : In the depths of condemned apathy.
    Registration date : 2008-09-21

    Re: Intellectual/Analytical Fan Vs. Emotional Fan.

    Post by lost frequencies on Sun Nov 23, 2008 9:44 am

    That clown follows me everywhere since you came here. pale


    _________________
    Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared with scars. ~ Kahlil Gibran
    avatar
    Saralinda
    Lurker

    Female
    Number of posts : 21
    Age : 40
    Location : The Attic of My Discontent
    Registration date : 2008-11-23

    Re: Intellectual/Analytical Fan Vs. Emotional Fan.

    Post by Saralinda on Sun Nov 23, 2008 9:50 am

    Sorry. I will only use the clown sparingly from now on. Instead, please enjoy this thing, whatever it is: What a Face
    avatar
    moronqueen
    Original Character

    Female
    Number of posts : 224
    Location : Here. Or maybe there. Probably somewhere in between. AHH!!
    Registration date : 2008-10-08

    Re: Intellectual/Analytical Fan Vs. Emotional Fan.

    Post by moronqueen on Sun Nov 23, 2008 9:52 am

    It's like an alcoholic mime. White painted face...red nose...get it? Get it? Huh huh huh?

    I agree on the wank. I never really understood why people feel such a need to be downright mean about something creative. If they want quality, they should really get their panties out of a knot and try to help others improve upon themselves. Ugh...it is very bullying...not funny at all. It's actually the main reason I tend to stay away from the big forum sites, and have gotten to the point of avoiding the fandom at large.
    avatar
    Saralinda
    Lurker

    Female
    Number of posts : 21
    Age : 40
    Location : The Attic of My Discontent
    Registration date : 2008-11-23

    Re: Intellectual/Analytical Fan Vs. Emotional Fan.

    Post by Saralinda on Sun Nov 23, 2008 9:56 am

    It's actually the main reason I tend to stay away from the big forum sites,

    If I may ask, which forum sites do you avoid? I'm relatively new to the TMNT fandom (though not a new fan), so I'm completely unfamiliar with most of it...

    *adds "alcoholic mime" to list of Things That Make Me Crap Myself In Fear*
    Man, that list is growing longer every day...
    avatar
    moronqueen
    Original Character

    Female
    Number of posts : 224
    Location : Here. Or maybe there. Probably somewhere in between. AHH!!
    Registration date : 2008-10-08

    Re: Intellectual/Analytical Fan Vs. Emotional Fan.

    Post by moronqueen on Sun Nov 23, 2008 10:25 am

    Saralinda wrote:If I may ask, which forum sites do you avoid? I'm relatively new to the TMNT fandom (though not a new fan), so I'm completely unfamiliar with most of it...

    *adds "alcoholic mime" to list of Things That Make Me Crap Myself In Fear*
    Man, that list is growing longer every day...

    Whooops...sorry! You can borrow my flame thrower if you want.

    I'm so far out of the loop now that I dunno if the two I can think of off the top of my head are even that big anymore.. The Technodrome for one, aaaand...hah, the other one I was thinking of isn't even up and running anymore!! I've been kickin' around for about 10 years now, so the old sites I used to know are mostly gone, and the ones I've checked out and didn't bother sticking around I didn't save. I'm part of the TMNT-L Forum, as are a couple of other people around here, I'm sure, but I tend to stick around the off-topic areas. I'm really a member there only because I've known a lot of those people ever since I came into the actual fandom. As freaky as it sounds, I actually met my hubby through them, though he's moved on to different relms of the interwebs since then.

    *shrugs* Just my personal preference...I've heard good things about the Technodrome, too, so...it's all in the eye of the beholder. I don't really frequent ff.net and I don't think I've ever really bothered checking out Stealthy Stories for whatever reason...

    In any case, there's always an interesting mix of fans around those places, and even the unpleasant ones have good lessons to teach if the time's right and the inclination is there.
    avatar
    Saralinda
    Lurker

    Female
    Number of posts : 21
    Age : 40
    Location : The Attic of My Discontent
    Registration date : 2008-11-23

    Re: Intellectual/Analytical Fan Vs. Emotional Fan.

    Post by Saralinda on Tue Nov 25, 2008 12:20 pm

    Thanks for the reply Moronqueen! I've heard of the Technodrome site and TMNT-L, but haven't really gotten involved with either. Probably won't actually. I'm active on 3 forums now and it's very time-consuming as it is...
    avatar
    moronqueen
    Original Character

    Female
    Number of posts : 224
    Location : Here. Or maybe there. Probably somewhere in between. AHH!!
    Registration date : 2008-10-08

    Re: Intellectual/Analytical Fan Vs. Emotional Fan.

    Post by moronqueen on Wed Nov 26, 2008 9:51 am

    Yeah, totally understand that Smile

    Sponsored content

    Re: Intellectual/Analytical Fan Vs. Emotional Fan.

    Post by Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:48 am