* The Prolonged Visit

Mikko
    Administrator

Female
    Number of posts : 4229
    Registration date : 2008-09-28

* The Prolonged Visit

Post by Mikko on Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:17 am

Summary: Mikko visits Spike in the hospital after their prison break failed, leaving him severely injured. Instead of flowers, she opts to get him a venus fly trap since it seemed more fitting of his personality.  Meanwhile, Kendall is back at the safe house, left to his own devices and missing the girl that had sprung him from death row.

During Mikko's visit, Spike flat-lines but is brought back, and rushed into surgery when it is suspected that he's bleeding internally. One of the nurses encourages Mikko to return home and get some rest since the surgery could take hours. Mikko agrees, and calls Kendall to pick her up.

Kendall tries to comfort her, but his gestures of kindness aren't well accepted and the rejection continues back at the cabin when he tries to get close to her. Still, he remains hopeful that she will eventually warm up to him. After she presses him, she informs her of his crime, and the fact that he's an ex cop doesn't settle well with her, but eventually the tension settles between them.

Mikko receives a call from the hospital once he is out of surgery and back in ICU, but is delivered the news that he can't have visitors. Soon after, Mikko asks Kendall to take her back to the clinic. Yearning for some form of human contact, she invites the convict into her room where they slow dance without the aid of music.

After parting ways, Mikko meets Chris, a patient that was making a little too much noise down the quiet halls as he munched on his chips. The two literally ran into each other, and after some small talk, she invited him back into her room where they hang out for a bit before parting ways for the night.

Characters involved: Mikko, Kendall, Chris (introductory thread)

Continued from: Trial and Error

Mikko woke, covering her face with her pillow to block out the sun that shone throu the window. She didn't think that she would get to sleep, but it seemed she had. She closed her eyes again when she herd some commotion coming from outside her room. Mikko sat up and stretched, then, she remembered, Spike.

Mikko jumped off her bed and ran to the door, but noticed that there was still blood on her. "Damnit!" She cursed at herself, then looked to see if her bubbly roommate was in the room, thankfully she wasn't. Mikko took the fastest shower of her life and got dressed then ran out to the others. "What's going on?" She tried to ask as casually as she could.

It was a boy named Branden that answered. "There was a major prison break out last night.lot of people got hurt." He told her nodding to the tv. Mikko looked at the news. "Was anyone killed?" She asked trying to keep her voice steady. Branden nodded. "Yeh, a few people." Mikko could feel the color drain from her face. "I need a phone."

She ran back to her room and grabbed her phone, she thought she had the number to the prison but in her frantic search she couldn't find it. she opened her door and called out to anyone who could hear. "Someone bring me a fuckin phone book!" All eyes where on her but it was only Branden that actually got up and grabbed the phone book for her. She thanked him then closed the door to call the prison.

It was like pulling teeth to get any answers from the prison, but she finally found out that Spike was alive. But not doing well. He was in Bellevue Hospital. She was glad for that, had he been in any prison hospital she knew she wouldn't be able to see him, at lest this way she had a shot.

After getting off the phone with the idiots at the prison, Mikko but on her boots and made her way outside. She thought about Kendall briefly and wondered if he made it to the house, she had no way of calling him and right now, the last thing on her mind was taking the trip to the house.

Mikko threw her arm in the air as a cab approached her. She slid in the back seat and told the driver where to go. Mikko rode in silence, starring out the window wondering what she would see once she got there. How bad was he? How many machines were on him? She remembered what Gabe had looked like when he was in the hospital, she shivered at the thought.

The ride was a short one, Mikko paid the man with the money she stole from Lexi and ran inside the hospital to the receptionist desk. "Hi. I'm looking for Timothy Black, he was brought in last night from the prison." Mikko informed the lady behind the desk. The lady whose name tag said Lydia looked up at Mikko. "And you are?"

"Mikko."

"mmmhmm...I'm afraid only family can see him. I'm sorry."

Mikko was so close to just losing it on this lady, she stayed calm. "Yes well. I'm his fiancee." Lydia looked at Mikko skeptically. Mikko sighed. "Can I see him? please." The please was strained, what Mikko really wanted to do was reach over the desk and slice that smirk right off of her.

"Third floor room 302."

Mikko forced a smile on her face. "Thank you." She ran to the elevators, once at the third floor she walked to the room, it wasn't hard to spot, it was the only room with cops standing around. "great..."

She walked to the room and stopped in front of the cops. "Can I go in?" They looked at her, then the taller one nodded to the his partner, who then started to search Mikko. She let him with out argument, she was so glad that she didn't bring any weapons with her. She was also glad that these two didn't seem like ass holes. After the cop was done he looked at her. "He's not really going to look like himself." She was amazed, this guy actually seemed to care. Mikko nodded. "Yeah..thanks."

She walked in the room and had to take a few breaths before getting any closer, she thought she was prepared, but she wasn't. Tears streamed down her face, she finally got her feet moving and walked to his bedside. "I'm so sorry." she whispered to him rubbing his cheek with her thumb. Mikko reached over and pulled a chair close to him, she sat down and laid her head on his stomch, once again she broke down.
    Spike
    Original Character

Number of posts : 368
    Registration date : 2008-09-25

Re: * The Prolonged Visit

Post by Spike on Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:35 pm

The surgery had lasted hours, but the medical team had been successful in stopping the massive bleeding. It had taken several transfusions to save him, efforts which Officer Adams had deemed a waste of time, and resources. It would come at no surprise that the man responsible for his near death had also requested to his fellow officers to let him bleed out. Luckily for Spike, some of the more professional officers had intervened.

The mechanical sounds of the heat-rate monitor, and oxygen machine filled the dimmed room. Spike was still on the critical care ward, situated in one of the solitary rooms. His color was still drained from him, leaving him to look like a paled corpse, lying there with the invasive oxygen tube shoved down his throat. He was oblivious to what had happened, and had yet to awaken from his near brush with death...
    Mikko
    Administrator

Female

Post by Mikko on Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:14 pm

Mikko finally was able to collect herself. she sat up and grabbed a tissue from the table on side of her. She wiped her face off and took some breaths. Mikko leaned over closer to Spikes face and put her forhead to his head.

"I'm so sorry babe." She told him again, still blameing herself for his condition. She carfully reached over, makeing sure not to hit anything that was attached to him and layed a hand on his cheek. She rubbed his cheek and kissed his head softly.

"You have to get better, you hear me? You have to." She kissed him again then sat back in her chair, taking his hand in hers.
    Spike
    Original Character

Post by Spike on Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:01 pm

Her touches slowly began to tug at his subconscious, causing his eyes to flutter beneath closed lids. His fingers curled with hers, giving a faint squeeze in reflex to her stimulations. It took a moment, but they finally opened to near slits. However, keeping them opened would prove difficult. The morphine coursing through his system had taken most of the pain, but enough remained to earn a slight wince. He was still too out of it to recall last night's events, but the invasive tube that was irritating his throat gave a good indication of where he was.

Spike's shaky hand tried to reach for the tube, but he found his wrists restrained. It was frustrating, but he soon gave up his efforts since the simple task was too draining. His drugged gaze finally fixated on Mikko, only now realizing she was in the room with him..
    Mikko
    Administrator

Female

Post by Mikko on Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:06 pm

She had turned her attention to the newpaper that was laying around, hand still in his, she glanced over the words not really reading them. her attention was soon back to Spike when she felt the slight squeez on her hand.

She put the paper down and moved the chair as close as she could to the bed. She ran her cool hand over his head. "Hey." She said softly.
    Spike
    Original Character

Post by Spike on Sat Apr 18, 2009 6:27 pm

He was too drained to react to her touch, nor could he speak, thanks to the tube. His bloodshot gaze was fixated on hers, in faltering concentration as his lids flickered, threatening to close against his will. He once again tugged at the restraints, but as before, his efforts were short-lived. Moments later, his eyes slid closed, and he soon slipped off into a slumber.
    Mikko
    Administrator

Female

Post by Mikko on Sat Apr 18, 2009 8:35 pm

Mikko kept her eyes locked with his, she tried to give an encouraging smile but couldn't mange it. She squeezed his hand when she felt him try to move. "Just try and rest,babe." She whispered to him as she caressed his cheek with the back of her hand.

Mikko leaned back in her chair when Spike's eyes closed and he fell back to sleep. She was going to be there for a while and needed something to do while he slept. Mikko left the room and quickly ran down to the small gift shop.

She didn't have a whole lot of money on her and was apprehensive about stealing anything, she didn't want to be forced to to leave. But, getting more money wouldn't be a problem.

She picked up a sketch pad and some pens. On her way to the actually pay for her items she saw a little venus flytrap. She smiled a little and picked it up. That's what you did for patients right? You got them flowers and stuff. A fly trap seemed to suit Spike so she go that a well.

Before entering his room, she once again had to be searched first, the pens caused a little issue but she was finally allowed them.

Mikko walked back into the room and set the plant on the table beside his bed, She sat back on the seat and using the edge of his bed as a table started to occupy her self with drawing.
    Spike
    Original Character

Post by Spike on Tue Apr 21, 2009 3:19 am

The minutes quickly passed into hours, with nothing but the mechanical sounds to keep Mikko company. Spike's chest faintly rose and fell, almost undetectable to the casual eye. Then suddenly, the only sign of life slipped away, sending the monitors into a high pitched frenzy, alerting the staff of their pending failure. The doctor was quick to arrive, accompanied by nurses who all swung into action, searching for the source of the sudden turn.

"He's coding.." One of the nurses stated the obvious...
    Mikko
    Administrator

Female

Post by Mikko on Tue Apr 21, 2009 3:30 am

Mikko's mind wandered off as she sketched in her book, She glanced up at Spike every now and then, wipeing his mouth off from the drool that would form at the corner of his mouth. It was quiet in the room, all but the steady sounds of the machines.

She rested back in her chair and closed her eyes, But her peacefulness was soon interrupted by the high pitch scream of one of the vital machines. Mikko open her eyes and looked for the source of the noise, She noticed the green line on the monitor, that once was showing a steady rhythm now was flat.

Mikko didn't have time to panic before nurses and doctors were pushing her away. She frantically tried to see what they were doing, what was going on. She felt a lump in her throat and the tears swell in her eyes.

"what's wrong?! What's happing? Is he alright!?" She choked the questions out, but they were going unanswered.

"Someone tell me what the fuck is happing!?" She cried on the verge of a full meltdown. one of the guards quickly but gently grabbed Mikko's shoulder to pull her out of the doctors way. But she struggled with him, still demanding answers.
    Kendall
    Original Character

Male
    Number of posts : 180
    Registration date : 2009-04-05

Post by Kendall on Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:47 pm

Kendall awoke later that next day feeling fully rested. In fact, that was the best sleep he had had in he didn't know how long! Those lumpy prison bunks were anything but comfortable.

He got up and stretched, briefly wondering where he was. Then the previous day's events came flooding back to him. He still felt a little twinge every now and then from his injury. He looked down at his leg, making sure his wound wasn't bleeding again.

Seeing it wasn't, he got himself mostly dressed again. Being out in the country, didn't necessarily mean that no one would walk in on him at a moment's notice. And the last thing he wanted was someone coming in while he was only in a minimal amount of clothing.

After dressing again, he added one more accessory...his gun. If someone dropped in uninvited, he wanted to be prepared if the company wasn't friendly. He made sure the safety was on, before tucking it in one of his pockets.

Satisfied now, he walked out of the bedroom. The next thing that he had to do was call Mikko. So he grabbed the piece of paper with her number, walked over to the phone, and dialed her number.

He still had to figure out why he was calling her in the first place. All he knew was that he had to talk to her...to hear her voice...and possibly comfort her. He waited as patiently as he could while the phone kept ringing. "Come on... Please pick up, Doll."
    Mikko
    Administrator

Female

Post by Mikko on Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:56 pm

Mikko was still struggling with the cop that held her back as the doctors and nurses surrounded Spike. She tried to make out what they were saying, but all the medial terms made no sense to her.

Then she felt her phone in her pocket vibrate, she ignored it at first, focused on more important things then the phone, but who ever was calling was persistent. She reached in her pocket and pulled out her phone, the tears in her eyes made it to blurry to see who was calling.

She finally answered it. "I can't talk right now. I'll call you back." She sobbed into the phone, she didn't know who it was but was sure the number would be on the caller ID. actually, she didn't even think of that, she didn't want to talk to anyone at the moment.

Mikko hung up the phone with out waiting for an answer and stuck it back into her pocket. "Please...some one please tell me what's going on."
    Spike
    Original Character

Post by Spike on Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:15 pm

The seconds would seem like an eternity, as the medical team worked frantically to unhook their dying patient from the machines. The doctor could only afford a brief, apologetic look in Mikko's direction, wishing he could provide immediate answers, but it would take time. Once the victim was free of the machines, he was rushed from the room, straight towards the OR.

One of the nurses paused long enough to place a comforting hand on Mikko's shoulder. "I'm sorry, ma'am. We don't know what happened yet, only that it's not looking too good.." She gave her shoulder a gentle squeeze. "We'll let you know something as soon as we can."
    Mikko
    Administrator

Female

Post by Mikko on Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:04 am

Mikko watched tearfully as he was finally taken off the machines and rolled out of the door. She broke free from the guard and started to follow them only to be stopped by a nurse. Mikko looked at her, hoping that she would have some answers, some good news. But she didn't and her words were more then mikko could take.

Mikko gave a weak nod and went back into Spike's room to sit down and wait. She broke down. sobbing in her hands, she couldn't believe what was happening. and the powerless feeling she had was agonizing.

Try as she could, Mikko couldn't manage to pull herself together. The phone call that she received moments ago had been forgotten, as she felt her world crumbling under her feet.

The wait was torture...
    Kendall
    Original Character

Male

Post by Kendall on Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:25 pm

Kendall was a bit taken back by the emotion in Mikko's voice. Or at least he assumed it was Mikko's. It was really hard to tell in that state. He debated whether to call her back. She seemed really upset. He stared at the phone for a few minutes, then picked it up and dialed her number again. "Come on, baby. Talk to me," he said to himself as he waited for her to pick up again. At least...he hoped she would. He would be there for her, no matter what.
    Mikko
    Administrator

Female

Post by Mikko on Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:31 pm

Her crying was interrupted buy her phone, once again vibrating in her pocket. She pulled it out and stared at it, debating on if she should answer. It seemed who ever it was really wanted to get a hold of her. It had better be important.

She wiped her face and answered the phone, her voice was shaky and she was trying hard not to have another break down.

"Hello?" She managed to choke out, still wiping the tears that seemed to never end.
    Kendall
    Original Character

Male

Post by Kendall on Sat Apr 25, 2009 11:51 am

Okay, this was not good. He could tell for sure that she was crying. And he had a fairly good idea why. "Hey baby. What's wrong?" Kendall absolutely hated it when girls cried. It reminded himself too much of another incident in his life. One that he didn't want to think about right now.
    Mikko
    Administrator

Female

Post by Mikko on Sat Apr 25, 2009 11:59 am

Mikko went to speak, only to have another wave of tears hit her. She cried into the phone, still not fully processing who was on the phone. It took some doing but she finally gathered herself just enough to talk.

"I..It's Spike...Something happen something's wrong, they don't know what. Ican'tlosehim!" Again she had to stop to choke back the more sobs.

She got up and started pacing in the room. "They said...They would let me know as soon as they can." It wasn't till then that it hit her, it was Kendall on the phone. "Did you make it to the house?" She asked quietly, wiping her face off with her sleeve.
    Kendall
    Original Character

Male

Post by Kendall on Sat Apr 25, 2009 12:16 pm

He was right. It did have to do with Spike. "I'm so sorry, babe. I hope he pulls through for you," Kendall said comfortingly. Okay, he really could care less about the guy, but for the sake of Mikko, he wanted her to be happy again.

He grinned when she finally realized it was he that was calling her. "Took ya long enough, babe." Truthfully, he was a bit surprised that she had said all that to a complete stranger, because it didn't sound like she had known it was him all along.

"Yeah, I did--thanks to you," he answered. "But it's awfully lonely up here. Would I be able to have some company pretty soon?" He grinned and waited for her answer. He didn't realize how insensitive he had just sounded--considering Mikko's situation.
    Mikko
    Administrator

Female

Post by Mikko on Sat Apr 25, 2009 12:23 pm

She was calming down some, surprisingly the guy was actually helping, she almost wished that he could have been there with her, she felt so alone and helpless. If only there was something, anything she could do to help Spike.

Mikko managed a chuckle at his comment about her taking a while to figure out it was him. "Yeah...sorry..lot on my mind." But the light mood would soon turn.

Kendall told her that he found the house, she was glad for that, then he mentioned wanting company. Mikko frowned, he couldn't be serious. Her normal response of yelling about how much of a jerk he was, was replaced by another wave of tears.

"asshole."
    Kendall
    Original Character

Male

Post by Kendall on Sat Apr 25, 2009 12:45 pm

He mentally slapped himself when he realized what exactly he had said earlier. Instead of helping her, he was doing exactly the opposite. "Whoa, hey...easy babe. I'm sorry. Don't cry." One of his biggest faults was acting before thinking. And words were no exception. He wanted to reach right through that phone and hold her close. To tell her everything was okay, and lend her his support. Because he was sure she needed it.
    Mikko
    Administrator

Female

Post by Mikko on Sat Apr 25, 2009 12:49 pm

Again, Mikko gathered herself She finally stopped walking around and sat back down. Mikko stared at the door, waiting for someone to come in and tell her what was going on. And she was suddenly in no mood to talk to Kendall.

"I can't go anywhere." She manage to say. "I have to find out what's going on."

She was calm now. Closing her eyes she concentrated on just breathing.
    Kendall
    Original Character

Male

Post by Kendall on Sun Apr 26, 2009 12:51 pm

To say that Kendall was disappointed that Mikko didn't want to see him, was an understatement. But at the same time, he completely understood. He knew how it was waiting to hear how a loved one was doing when they were in such a critical condition.

"Okay, babe. I understand," his replied smoothly. Truthfully, he was just glad to hear her voice again. But it would have been even nicer if she wasn't so emotional. But he would take what he could get for now. Maybe sooner or later, she would come and visit him.
    Spike
    Original Character

Post by Spike on Sun Apr 26, 2009 7:52 pm

A half hour had passed, and a nurse finally returned to the room where Mikko was. Overhearing her speaking with someone, she peeped quietly inside, making sure that her arrival wouldn't be an intrusion, but seeing her on the phone, she quietly made her presence known. She stepped inside of the room, waiting to gain the young woman's attention.
    Mikko
    Administrator

Female

Post by Mikko on Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:06 pm

Mikko saw nurse and stood. "i'mahavtatocallyaback." She said quickly to Kendall then hung up without waiting for an answer.

She looked at the nurse eagerly, hopeful and scared. "Is he ok?" The words came out like a whisper. She trembled silightly, getting ready to hear the worse.
    Spike
    Original Character

Post by Spike on Mon Apr 27, 2009 2:25 pm

The young nurse gave her an apologetic look, really not knowing where to begin. Normally, this would be the doctor's job, but since he was currently tied up at the moment, she had taken it upon herself to brief Mikko on the situation. She assumed that the black-haired girl was the victim's girlfriend, and she didn't want to keep the poor girl in the dark.

"He's bleeding internally.." She began, pausing to chose her words carefully. She didn't want to send the girl into mad hysterics. "He's still in surgery now, and it could take a while." She gave her shoulder a gentle squeeze. "You should go home and rest. The doctor will give you a call once he's out."

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:39 am