Female
    Number of posts : 253
    Registration date : 2009-05-12

A Christmas Story

Post by Jenny on Thu Dec 03, 2009 7:23 am

A Christmas Story

Part 1

”I’m free! Pass!”

It was a cold morning, it was only a matter of time until the first snow would fall. All children in class had woken up every morning, running to their windows to see if the outside was covered in white. It had been many cold days, but still no snow. However, the snow’s absence allowed Kyle and his friends to continue playing basket on their breaks.

Kyle jumped and caught the ball his friend had passed him. He aimed for the basket and threw the ball; cheerful cries was heard as the ball hit its goal.

”Good job Kyle!” Tony said, giving his back a pound. Tony was his best friend. ”With you in the team we can easily beat those stupid four-graders next time they challenge us!”
    Kyle laughed heartily as one of his other friend nuggied him. ”Okey guys! Lets play!” The game was on again. Kyle turned around, and as he did so he saw her again; a young woman with long black hair. She sat on the bench by the fence, a good distance away from Kyle and his friends –still she had managed to caught Kyle’s attention. First time he alerted her presence was two months ago, and she had ever since that shown up frequently. He had not once seen her talking to any of the kids on the play ground.
    The woman made him feel uneasy; her eyes was always on him and his friends, sometimes he had a strange feeling that it was mostly him she was watching. But why should she? He had never talked to her or anything. Neither could he remember if his parents had talked with her when they had been out shopping, walking and such.

”Kyle! Dammit!” one of his friends shouted ”Come oooon slowmo-homo!”
    Even though the woman made him feel uneasy she awakened his curiosity, and the curiosity was stronger today. Kyle looked back at his friends. ”You guys go ahead” he said, again returning his attention to the young woman. ”I just need to check something..”
    With that, he tucked his hands into his pockets and started walking towards the woman. Was this stupid? Don’t talk to strangers Kyle! his mother had told him several times, she would be so sour if she knew what he was attending to do.
    The woman did not show any signs that she was aware of his approaching; she kept watching him like before as if nothing had happened, or was about to happen. The lack of her respond to his approaching made Kyle stop –she was scary. He glanced back at his friends who had continued playing without him, then back to the woman again. His curiosity urged him to continue his walk.

The 8 year old boy looked down at his shoes; his mother had bought him new warm boots for the coming winter. Though because of the cold weather she had told Kyle to start wearing them so he did not freeze. Kyle liked them, they were dark blue and comfortable.

He slowly looked up at the woman. He took a step forward, then he continued walking towards her. When he was three meters away from her, he stopped. He had tried to avoid eye contact with her as he walked, but was now facing her eye to eye. Being this near he really felt that it had been him all along she had been watching these two months.

She did not move, she just continued watching him with her cold eyes. Her beautiful features in her face showing a neutral expression to him. He observed a scar on her left cheek, but her features managed to conceal the ugliness of it. He found it weird that she was not shuddering considering that she seemed to be only wearing a pair of jeans and a black leather jacket, just sitting there.

”Hi.” he finally managed to say, feeling his heart pounding aggressive in his chest. A quick thought crossed his mind; what if she remains quiet and indifferent? He hoped not, because that would totally freak him out.

”Hi.” she replied softly, though indifferent in her expressions. Or.. was that a tear running down from her left eye? Even so, he was relieved that she had answered him.

Kira’s heart had made a little jump as Kyle had started walking towards her; the same jump it had done the first time he had looked at her and alerted her presence. As he came closer she could from a near distance see how beautiful he really was; he had black hair just like her and those beautiful features in his face was inherit from her.
    As the 8 year old boy opened his mouth and allowed her to hear his voice, Kira felt an odd feeling in her chest, filling her whole body with warmth. It was stinging in her eyes, just like when you got sand into them or a cold wind taking its tool on them. Before she knew it, her left eye had fell a tear. She had not cried for so long, it had been years. And she did not understand why she was doing it now.
    Without wiping the tear off her cheek, she continued watching this beautiful child who stood in front of her. He was dressed like a child; brown jacket, blue overtrousers, blue boots and a red-brimmed blue knit cap adorned with a decorative red pom-pon.

”Ain’t you freezing?” the 8 year old boy asked, tilting his head a little at the question. Funny that he was asking; her body was experiencing a strange sweet warmth that spreed to her whole system with her blood. However, she did not only find the warmth sweet –since she did not know what it was she also considered it as something uneasy. As for the weather, which he was referring to, she did not suffer from its cold. Kira was used to cold weather; she had grown-up in a icy land with a father who did not bother to dress her properly. She had experienced many cold nights as she had taken her escape outside to free herself from her father and his friends’ abuse. Now she saw the coldness as something safe. She did not experience the cold like other people did.

”No, I’m not.” she answered him with her slavic accent. ”Are you?”

Kyle shook his head; no, his mother had made sure that he would stay warm in this coldness.
    He quickly observed her accent, and being only 8 years old he did not understand when he was being too forward.

”Where you from?”

”Here.”

”I mean” Kyle rephrased his question ”Which country are you from?”

Kira opened her mouth, then closed it again. Even if it was a harmless question, it still affected her much –and it affected her bad. She did not like talking or thinking about her past. However, something in her wanted this conversation to keep going.

”Far away from here.”

Kyle pouted his lips; that was not the answer he wanted. Adults could be so annoying.
    ”I’m good with maps” he protested ”I only had two wrongs outta 15 on one test. Try me!”

”Is that so?” without thinking about it, Kira found that she was smiling to this. ”Poland.”

The 8 year old boy thought for a second, then a cocky smile crossed his lips. ”Europe. Germany to the left and Russia to the right.” The young woman nodded.

”Tell me about it.”

”No.”

”Why not?”

”Because…” Kira never found herself unable to answer a question, this was strange. ”Because.. I can’t.”

Kyle frowned at this; why couldn’t she? She was obviously not mute. He opened his mouth to protest again, but as he did so the bell rang. He cast a glance over his shoulder, all children hurried inside to get their outerwears off and ready for class.

”I gotta go.” he said as he turned around to leave. Then it hit him ”..by the way, I’m Kyle.” He looked back over his shoulder at her.

Kira felt a lump in her throat as she was about to answer him; she lost her voice for a second but managed to snap out of it.

”I’m Kira.”

With a nod, Kyle started running –hurrying inside to the others.

~

Pleasee feel free to give me feed-back and correct my gramma, etc. It's very much appreciated!
    ~
    Rogue
    Administrator

Female
    Number of posts : 885
    Registration date : 2008-09-21

Re: A Christmas Story

Post by Rogue on Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:13 pm

Daw, poor Kira! This was very well written, babe! ^.^ And a very interesting read! And no worries, your English is very good! There were very few errors that were hardly noticeable. You write English very well, even better than most people that were born and live where English is the primary language, lol! I hope to see more of this, it's definitely worth continuing! Smile

Female
    Number of posts : 253
    Registration date : 2009-05-12

Post by Jenny on Fri Dec 11, 2009 4:21 am

aaw thanks yous honey *huggies* I smile everytime I read your feed-back, means a lot and it encourages me to continue trying to get better Very Happy If you have the time, and of course feel like it, you are very welcome to correct my mistakes by editing -this goes for you all Very Happy

Hope I will be able to work on next part this week-end.
    Again, thanks babe! *kisses and hugs!!*

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:32 am