Misery in Paradise

Raphael
    Canon

Male
    Number of posts : 1072
    Registration date : 2008-09-23

Re: Misery in Paradise

Post by Raphael on Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:29 pm

Raph watched Donnie work his magic with Leo's wound.  It looked really, really bad, but he was confident in Don's abilities.  They all had worse before and Don's know-how got them through.  This time shouldn't be any different.  He was still glad he said something to Don in the car about helping their brothers because if he hadn't, it was possible that they would have lost Leo for good.  And Raph would be damned to let that happen.

Suddenly Pepper rushed over to them after seeing Leo's condition and Raph's eyes narrowed at the girl.  He hadn't forgotten what Lexi told him but now wasn't the time to confront her about it.  Even though he couldn't wait to do it.  It had been in the back of his mind since he first heard about her involvement in Bishop's lab, but other things kept getting in the way of that rage.  He wanted to ask her why.  He wanted to tell her off and warn her that she better stay away from his son or else.

He was now glaring daggers at the woman.  One thing was for certain -- he wanted answers.  Unfortunately, those questions would have to wait.  He had to put his brothers ahead of that once more.  By now, Donnie had most of the bullet taken out as he pulled his focus from Pepper and made sure he held the flashlight steady for his brother.
    Splinter
    Canon

Male
    Number of posts : 271
    Registration date : 2008-10-10

Post by Splinter on Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:23 pm

Splinter was so torn. Two sons injured - true, Michelangelo did not seem to be as close to the door of Death itself, as Leonardo did, but the old ninja master still felt as if he needed to be with both sons. And couldn't be.

He would stay near Leonardo's side but not only was Pepper doing an amazing job of being there, for which he was very thankful, it would just end up placing him in the way. Donatello needed all the space he could get for the very delicate work he was attempting to do for his brother. Splinter looked at the cavity in Leonardo's shell and was eternally grateful that the shell had been there to stop the bullet in the first place. How many more times may I have the chance to be grateful for their shells shielding them in battle? The rat was very unsure of it, and that scared him. He saw Leonardo lying there before him and wondered if Donatello would have anything to give his elder brother a blood transfusion with - because it was painfully obvious that one would be needed. Shen, watch over Leonardo tonight, koibito, for he will need angels at his side. And strengthen Pepper as she keeps watch over him.

The old ninja master looked from Raphael's stern face, to Donatello's focused one, and then down to Leonardo's own sweat-streaked face. He listened as Leo told them all that there would be more training to do, and silently agreed. However, he would need to know what went on while they were out to know what sort of training was truly needed. It was his own failure that they had become lazy on their sparring, and Splinter was determined to make sure that it never ended up that way again. Knowing that Donatello and Raphael were busy with Leonardo, Splinter padded into the kitchen where Mikey and Fraya were.

He saw his youngest pining for salad, even as Fraya worked to take out ... a bullet? Yes, she was retrieving a bullet from Michelangelo's shoulder. Splinter took a deep breath of air in, let it out slowly, and then grabbed a big bowl and some cutlery for his son. Padding over, he placed the bowl within Mikey's reach and then, to further distract the orange-masked Turtle from Fraya's ministrations, he said two words. They were said lightly, and slowly, but they were uttered all the same.

"What happened?"
    Michelangelo
    Canon

Male
    Number of posts : 1271
    Registration date : 2008-09-22

Post by Michelangelo on Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:15 pm

Fraya wrote:Fraya was quick to grab what she needed and came back to Mike. She started cleaning the blood away, focusing on her work, she didn't respond to Mike, but it sounded bad. She swallowed thickly and started the task of getting the bullet out of his shoulder.

"Tell me if I hurt you." She said as she carefully tried to remove the bullet.

Seeing all of the medical supplies that Fraya had brought back caused Mike to cringe, and earned a childish pout from the young turtle as he licked the cheese from his finger. Granted, he knew that he was in very capable hands. Fraya rivaled Don in the medical department, and she was certainly more gentle. Still, every time his girlfriend had to patch him up, he was reminded of that dreadful night when he almost left this world. Fraya had saved him.

Despite the heaviness that hung thickly in the air like a suffocating smog, and the inevitable pain he would experience during the bullet's removal, Mike managed a lop-sided smile as he gazed at her, watching her work with unfaltering focus and determination. "Heh... once again you're fixing me up.." He breathed softly as she cleaned away the blood, and leaned in to press his forehead against hers. "Reminds me of when we first met.." Of course, the circumstances were way different when he was attacked back at Belle's party.

"I don't regret that night... because something good came out of it." He smiled, and nuzzled a kiss against her cheek, just before she began digging for the bullet. It earned a pained hiss and muffled whimpers, but his best attempts to suppress the vocalization of his agony were dissolved when his father came into the kitchen. He yelped a loud 'Ouch!' and gave his father a pitiful look, but was grateful that the food and utensils were placed within reach. At least it gave him a distraction while Fraya worked at removing the bullet. But then came his father's question which earned a deep frown.

"Hun... hurt April." He told his father, still finding it difficult to say just how the gang leader had harmed their friend. "I dunno how the Dragons got the upper hand, but they did. I got shot.. but Leo's worse. And Casey... he got the worst end of it." His frown deepened and his saddened gaze met his father's, much like a lost child looking for guidance or reassurance. "I don't know if he's gonna make it, Sensei."

Female
    Number of posts : 205
    Registration date : 2012-08-28

Post by Pepper on Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:29 pm

Pepper could practically feel Raph's eyes burning into her, which only added to her uneasiness. She spared him a quick look, but confirming his death-glare, she quickly averted his 'gaze', once again looking to Don, but he seemed too distracted to answer her. Or.. he could have been ignoring her since she still didn't feel universally loved within the clan. But hearing Leo's reassurances that he would be okay distracted her mind from all of the insecurities. Of course she wanted the brothers to like her, but if they didn't... she was there for Leo, that's what mattered. He wanted her there, so she wouldn't let the others run her off.

The young woman tried to stay out of their way, but continued to hold to Leo's hand and rested her cheek against the plush cushion of the couch. "Your father gave us a few demonstrations tonight." She told Leo, referring to his comment about more training. "I could train with you."
    Leonardo
    Canon

Male
    Number of posts : 1268

Post by Leonardo on Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:58 am

Leo was feeling really tired and it took everything he had to stay awake. He heard Pepper and looked over to her with a nod. "Yeah...I think we could all use some training." He then turned to Don who was working on getting the bullet and shell fragments out of him.

"Can you get it all out?" He asked tiredly.
    Donatello
    Canon

Male
    Number of posts : 1040
    Registration date : 2008-09-30

Post by Donatello on Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:47 am

Donatello had been so focused on his work that Pepper's offer to help didn't reach him.  Even if Leo was getting the care he needed now, he still wasn't out of the woods.  Leo had lost a lot of blood and more than likely would need a blood transfusion.  It had to be either himself or Raph because they were the only ones medically capable enough to give it because Mikey was out of the question due to his own wounds.  Since their mutation, they each shared the same unique blood type that they needed.

After removing the last shard of the shell, he glanced up at Raph.  They all had been through so much lately.  Don could only imagine how the hothead was feeling with his best friend near-death in the hospital.  It would be hard to ask Raph to make yet another sacrifice.  It would possibly have horrible consequences if he did.  But, on the other hand, this was their brother.  Surely Raph would want to help him.  Even though those two had their differences in the past, they were still family.  They had to stick together, no matter what.

Hearing Leo's question, Don finally spoke up with a nod to his brother. "Yes.  But, we need to give you a blood transfusion."  There, he finally said it.  He looked to Raph again to see if the hothead would volunteer to do it. "I would do it myself, but, I need to make sure everything stays on-track.  Please, Raph?"
    Leonardo
    Canon

Male

Post by Leonardo on Sat Oct 12, 2013 9:54 am

"No. No transfusion. I'll be fine. There is no need to put others in danger." Leo grabbed the pillow that was on side of him and tucked it under his head. "All I need is some rest, and...Some tea would be nice."

He looked over at Pepper and gave her a warm smile. "Could you get me a cup, please?"
    Fraya
    Original Character

Number of posts : 359
    Registration date : 2010-05-02

Post by Fraya on Sat Oct 12, 2013 9:59 am

Fraya smiled at Mike's words and kiss but stayed focus on her job. She found the bullet and carefully pulled it out. She then dropped the bullet on a napkin and worked to stitch the wound up.

"When I first saw you in that cell, it was love at first sight." She said with a grin. "I'm just glad we got out of there in one piece. No more getting locked up, ok? And no more getting shot. Leo's right, you guys need more training if you let a couple of thugs take you out. I'm going to train with you."
    Elakiya
    Family

Female
    Number of posts : 344
    Registration date : 2012-01-06

Post by Elakiya on Sat Oct 12, 2013 12:37 pm

Mondo Gecko wrote:"I'm not much of a fighter." Mondo said, bringing them to the park. He figured the best place to swim was the large pond at the park. It was dark, so they could stay hidden in the shadows. "Maybe the guys can teach us some moves. I'm sure once things calm down they'll have more time to relax and teach us some things. The girls should learn how to protect themselves too. Knowing the turtles puts them in a lot of danger. We all need to know how to fight."
    Nods at him as they reach the park, "Its so pretty here." Smiles at him, "Yah lets hope they can. Since I'm not sure how long I'll be on this planet, and I do like it here. So far I don't want to return home." Smiles at him again as she kisses him, before jumping into the pond, "oh yah this feels great, come on in." waves her hand at him.
    Raphael
    Canon

Male

Post by Raphael on Sat Oct 12, 2013 5:54 pm

Normally, Raph wouldn't be so willing to give blood, but he knew how dire the situation was this time. Leo didn't have much more time and Raph was the best choice for the job. He tried to ignore Pepper who seemed to be staring at him until his death-glare sent hers away. Then his attention shifted back to Don and gave him a small nod. "Yeah, I'll do it," he agreed, displaying his arm for Don with his hand in a small fist. He couldn't wait to get this over with.
    Pepper
    Original Character

Female

Post by Pepper on Sun Oct 13, 2013 12:39 pm

It seemed that Leo was protesting the idea of a transfusion, only for the sake of his brothers. She would have argued the case with him, but it seemed that Raph was willing to help, and she was certain that Don would press the issue and make his wounded brother see reason. She decided to stay quiet on the matter and let the brothers handle it, but would certainly speak her mind if she returned and found that they weren't going through with it.

She leaned in and pressed a kiss against his cheek before pushing herself up and headed into the kitchen to retrieve him a cup of tea. It seemed that the kitchen was also occupied with Fraya tending to Mike's wound, and the young turtle was in the process of explaining to his father what had happened. She tried not to interrupt as she pulled the cup from the cupboard and filled it with the fresh brew. It sounded bad. Casey was severely injured, and April... something horrible had happened to her, too.

Pepper pressed the cup between her hands as she passed the three, sparing them an apologetic look for all they had been through, and her brief intrusion. Once back in the den, she knelt beside the couch and held the cup against his lips.
    Donatello
    Canon

Male

Post by Donatello on Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:36 am

Donatello decided a while back that Leo needed a blood transfusion.  It wasn't negotiable.  His brother WOULD have one no matter what he said.  Don would see to it personally.  Heck, he would be the one  actually doing it -- with Raph's consent, luckily.

He nodded to Raph then got to his feet, telling everyone he would be back in a little bit and motioning Raph to come with him to the back bedroom where all his things were.  Raph hesitated at first but finally followed Don and sat in a comfy chair with Don's instruction.  

Don told him it would be relatively painless, but Raph wasn't so sure.  He wasn't wild about needles but no one really knew that.  Not even his brothers.  And he hoped it would stay that way.  He was only doing this for Leo's sake.  He took it in stride and just waited patiently in the chair until his brother had everything ready.

Don had everything hooked up by now and prepared Raph's arm for penetration, first tying off his arm with a band then pressed the needle into his thick reptilian skin.  Don learned a long time ago that it took a certain kind of needle to penetrate their thicker-than-human skin.  Which meant the needles were larger and that added to the apprehensiveness of Raph.

Soon the blood was flowing up a tube to a waiting plastic bag for an IV.  Don added a little something to make it flow slightly faster but it still was slow enough that his patients shouldn't faint or feel any negative effects whatsoever.  Of course there were risks, but Don put those to the back of his mind.  But he still monitored Raph's condition very carefully.

Raph had his eyes closed and kept very still while his blood traveled up to the bag that was hanging nearly above his head.  He would have preferred to have the bag a little further away but apparently Don's tube wasn't long enough after all the 'modifications' he had made to make the blood flow a little faster.  

It wasn't that Raph was afraid of blood.  Quite the opposite.  He lost  count how many times he had seen the sight of his own blood from various wounds he sustained from fights.  Some of them were so bad that he had his family very worried, but Raph knew he would be fine.  And sometimes he would treat his own wounds so his family wouldn't notice.  The worst ones, however, he would let Don take care of.

Don kept close watch of Raph, sitting on the bed next to his chair, checking various machines as the bag kept filling.  He was still worried sick about Leo.  He didn't really have much of an idea how much blood his brother had lost, but he was taking a pint from Raph, anyway.  Hopefully it would be enough.  Time was just going painfully slow and giving Leo the blood transfusion would take some time, too.
    Leonardo
    Canon

Male

Post by Leonardo on Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:27 pm

Leo was thankful for Pepper bringing him something to drink. He sipped the tea from the cup and tried to get comfortable. He wanted to protest the transfusion more, but it seemed Don was already getting raph prepared. He would have to go through with it, he just hoped everything went to plan.

"How's Mikey?"
    Pepper
    Original Character

Female

Post by Pepper on Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:07 pm

Pepper felt a little more at ease now that Raph was no longer in the same room with her, but she knew it would be a short-lived comfort. As soon as the blood was taken, both Don and Raph or return. Or, maybe she would get lucky and Raph would go rest and recover. Not very likely considering how worried they all were about Leo.

Hearing Leo's question brought the young woman back from her thoughts. She removed the cup from his lips to give him a break, but allowed it to hover just in case he needed another sip. "Mike's okay." She assured him, gently caressing his cheek with her fingertips. "Fraya is patching him up. He's in good hands."
    Splinter
    Canon

Male
    Number of posts : 271
    Registration date : 2008-10-10

Post by Splinter on Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:34 pm

Splinter's heart was lightened a bit, to hear both Michelangelo and Fraya speak of how they met. He watched Fraya grin in response to Michelangelo's words, and the vision of Shen smiling at him flashed before his old eyes and the Rat smiled. Beyond that, however, he was impressed by how much focus the young lady had as she removed the bullet from his son's shoulder and then began stitching him up.

He wasn't going to grill Michelangelo about the events of the evening - that 'honor' would go to Leonardo once the eldest was recovered enough to tell what had gone on. So, for now, he focused on Mikey, and attempted to help get his mind off Fraya's ministrations. "It is a wondrous thing, is it not, to have something so wonderful come out of something tragic?" He thought of losing Shen ... losing Mio ... and then the thought of finding his sons interrupted his thoughts and showed him how true his words had been.
    Leonardo
    Canon

Male

Post by Leonardo on Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:28 am

Knowing Mike was alright made Leo rest more easily. He took another long sip from the cup and tried to sit up. He managed to pull himself up only to fall back to the couch with a groan. He hated being weak like this. there was no time to be laying around! Leo wanted to call the hospital and see how Casey was doing. From what he saw the guy wasn't doing to good. He also needed to know how April was. From just looking at her, she seemed ok physically. But Leo was sure she was far from alright.

"Pepper. Can you....get me a phone? Please?"
    Mondo Gecko
    Canon

Male
    Number of posts : 212
    Registration date : 2012-04-10

Post by Mondo Gecko on Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:02 am

"Yeah I really like it here at night." Mondo watched Ela dive in the pond and stood on the grass. He wasn't sure if he really wanted to get wet or not. Though he did seem to dry off quickly. But when Ela called out to him to join her he just couldn't tell her no.

He slipped off all his cloths and hid them against a tree then stepped in the water. He walked out to her and wrapped his arms around her.

"The park is closed. But we should still try to be quiet. Don't need anyone poking their nose around here."
    Elakiya
    Family

Female
    Number of posts : 344
    Registration date : 2012-01-06

Post by Elakiya on Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:19 am

Nods with a smile as she waves him into the pond, "Well we don't need to make any sounds. We'll be underwater." Smirks at him in a naughty way. 'Let's hope he'll caught on.' says to herself as she enjoys the night air and water around her.

"how deep does this pond go?" wonders out loud.
    Mondo Gecko
    Canon

Male
    Number of posts : 212
    Registration date : 2012-04-10

Post by Mondo Gecko on Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:25 am

"Underwater? You do remember I can't breath underwater right? And I don't know how deep the pond is, but we should stay in this area, just to make sure we're not seen." With a squeeze he let Ela go and laid back, floating on the surface.

"We shouldn't stay out too late either."
    Pepper
    Original Character

Female

Post by Pepper on Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:36 pm

Leonardo wrote:Knowing Mike was alright made Leo rest more easily. He took another long sip from the cup and tried to sit up. He managed to pull himself up only to fall back to the couch with a groan. He hated being weak like this. there was no time to be laying around! Leo wanted to call the hospital and see how Casey was doing. From what he saw the guy wasn't doing to good. He also needed to know how April was. From just looking at her, she seemed ok physically. But Leo was sure she was far from alright.

"Pepper. Can you....get me a phone? Please?"

Pepper frowned when Leo made his attempt to sit up, his efforts falling short. She knew how difficult this had to be for him, but he was going to have to learn that he wasn't invisible. "You need to lay still, Leo." She lightly scolded, placing a hand on his shoulder just in case he tried to repeat his efforts. "Even leaders need their rest." She leaned in and pressed a kiss against his cheek, and quietly shushed him when he requested the phone.

"I'm sure April will call you as soon as she knows something, Leo. Right now you just need to focus on you. I know that's difficult, but you have to get better before you can be any help to anyone else." She told him, assuming that he was wanting to call the hospital. If he was determined, then she would call and see what she could find out herself, but she was confident that they would hear something as soon as April knew. Right now, she was wondering what was taking Raph and Don so long....

"Don must be having to chase Raph down with that needle.." She teased, hoping it would lighten his tension and distract him from the heaviness that she knew was weighing on him.
    Michelangelo
    Canon

Male
    Number of posts : 1271

Post by Michelangelo on Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:47 pm

Mike was trying so hard to keep his mind off of what was happening, and the pain that he was experiencing, but there was nothing quite like having a bullet dug out of your flesh. He winced and whimpered, but thankfully it was soon over, and now came the torment of being stitched up. Thankfully his father was distracting him some, and he smiled fondly, nodding his head in agreement.

"Yeah, definitely! Like.. when you waste all but your last quarter in one of those grabby machines.. but that last one is the winner!" He smiled, and shoved his fork into the goodness that was placed in front of him. The food was definitely a good distraction, and would hopefully keep his mind off his aching shoulder, at least until Fraya was finished patching him up...

Male

Post by Leonardo on Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:50 am

Leo gave a nod at that, but he still wanted to call. It drove him crazy not knowing what was going on with their friends. He took another sip of his tea and laid on the couch waiting on Don.
    Fraya
    Original Character

Number of posts : 359
    Registration date : 2010-05-02

Post by Fraya on Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:57 am

Fraya ignored all the chatter and finished up on Mike's shoulder. She put a bandage on him and gave his shoulder a kiss. "There all done. You were such a good patent. now time for me to eat."

She hummed a tune while fixing herself a plate of food. She then took a spot next to Mike and sat down to eat.

"If you need something for pain, I can make a few calls and get you some pain pills." She told Mike with a smile.
    Raphael
    Canon

Male

Post by Raphael on Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:18 pm

This was taking forever.  Raph was getting impatient.  He had no idea how long this thing should take, but he figured as much time had passed in here, Leo was getting weaker out there.  He shifted in his chair several times, trying to take his mind off what was going on.  His eyes scanned every little thing around the room several times.  Finally, he couldn't take it anymore.  He growled in impatience and narrowed his eyes at Donatello.

"How much longer, Don?"

Don, himself, had also been trying to keep his mind on other things, while keeping a close watch on Raph.  He was also getting annoyed with Raph's complaining.  He knew his brother wasn't the most patient turtle, but surprisingly, Raph lasted much longer than expected before the most anticipated words to be uttered finally came out of his mouth.  Don just rolled his eyes. "Just a few more minutes, Raph."

That earned another few grumbles from the turtle in red and he spent the remaining minutes with his eyes closed.  He was so done with this!  He was so tempted to rip the needle out and push the cart with blood to Leo himself.  Not recommended, though, and he knew it.  He sighed then finally, after what seemed like forever, Don finally removed the needle.

"'Bout time, Donnie!" he said as he started to get up from the chair, only to feel a bit dizzy himself and sat back down quickly.

Don didn't have time to warn Raph about taking it easy for the first half-hour before his brother stood up, but soon Raph learned the hard way and Don shook his head lightly.  "Just rest here for a few minutes," he told him, bandaging his arm quickly.  "You'll have to sit here for a little while longer, Raph.  I'll take this to Leo," he added and gathered what he needed to finish the transfusion then headed out of the room.  Don thought the hard part was over now...

Raph tried getting up one more time after Don left but failed that attempt as well.  He swore quietly and decided to sit there until this damn dizzy feeling went away.  But he wanted to be out there with Leo.  He still wondered why the hell Don did this whole blood thing in this room.  

Kicking the side of the bed out of frustration and grumbling some more, he finally took Don's advice and sat still.  He kept his ears trained on what was going on outside the bedroom since Donatello so graciously left the door open.  As a final move, he scooted himself and the chair to sit in the doorway so he could watch from a distance.

Last edited by Raphael on Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:54 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Added two more paragraphs at the end)
    Donatello
    Canon

Male

Post by Donatello on Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:28 pm

Don hurried out of the room and back over to Leo with all the equipment, tubes draped over the cart with the blood bag.  "Sorry it took so long, guys," he apologized, leaving it hang there.  Surely they knew that this kind of thing takes time -- for both taking the blood from one 'donor' and the one receiving it.

"How are you feeling, Leo?"

After a few more minutes, Don had Leo hooked up and the transfusion was underway.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:40 am